Sunday 29 July 2012

Get Stoned by The Rolling Stones



A slight cheat this one, as the back cover, bar the track listing, is all but identical to the front. A recent charity shop purchase, it was bought for purely nostalgic reasons. Get Stoned was my first real contact with the Stones, discovered as I leafed through my father's record collection. At the time I can remember not liking the vocals much (out of tune to my young ears) and by being a little alarmed by the rather grotesque mould of Jagger's lips on the front. It has always been fascinating to me how our music tastes change (develop?) and particularly how reactions from early listens can be totally at odds with how we grow to feel about a singer/band/song. I had similar experiences on first listens to Bob Dylan and Neil Young, which I expect are not uncommon.  
 
A few years later, when looking to buy the record myself, I couldn't seem to find it and naively thought the provocative title had led to it being banded for such a brazen drug reference. As it turns out, Get Stoned offered a great intro to the band (up to Sticky Fingers) and has a number of tracks (Dandelion, 2000 Light Years from Home) rarely to appear on their other many compilations.

No comments:

Post a Comment